Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Cancer Club

Yesterday was Jenna's memorial. Chris and Michele, her parents, did an amazing job of honoring their daughter's life. I listened to stories of events from her life and wished I could have been there. Jenna will be missed so much.

Sitting in the service I looked around and saw many familiar faces. They were at all corners of the church. The cancer club, I call it. Parents who have lost a child and the others of us who fear it everyday. They came in their deepest pain, from far away, and some were there who didn't even know them very well, but were there to support Chris and Michele.

Everyday, I wish I could escape this club of fear and watching those I care about suffer, but yesterday I felt honored to be a part of the group. They are a group of inspirational parents who have sacrificed everything for their children, who have reached deep for strength to endure each day, and who have demonstrated amazing love in their darkest times. For their children, and for each other. We have been bonded together in the most horrific of circumstances, but I am a better person because I know them.

3 comments:

Michele Westerholm said...

We are so honored to know and love you guys. My pink and green nail polish started chipping off on Saturday night. I guess my days of pink and green are over....

Anonymous said...

Well said Becky, well said.

Sincerely,
Dave Parisi

Anonymous said...

Hello Busby's,
I hardly every write comments, but I loved what you said about being invited into peoples journey's. It is an honor and one that changes us forever!

Blessings,
Colleen Richey
SBS