Sunday, January 27, 2008

Parenting a 2 Year Old with Cancer

First rule is that all rules are out the window.

Tantrums: If you want to throw a tantrum, go right ahead, seems perfectly appropriate for the situation. I've been throwing some tantrums lately too.

Watching DVDs: Skies the limit. Always being hooked up to some kind of restraining tube or pole along with exhausted parents have made Elmo, Bob and Larry and the Wiggles members of our family.

Meal Time: Breakfast today consisted of cheetos, a waffle, a fruit juice popsicle, cheese, turkey, chocolate milk and juice. Each had about one bite or sip taken. We are desperately trying to get him to eat so anything goes when you get your nutrition from a tube.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we seem to have an eating problem over here, but unfortunately have no excuse. Nicole will say, "I ate all my applesauce, now can I have candy??" That is all she ate for "dinner". Yikes.
Glad Jordan is home and I pray that you can get some rest if that is possible and we will continue to pray for you as you try and go through your day. The 2's and 3's are so tough and you obviously have it so much tougher with this crappy cancer....
Love to you,
Kristi Spengler

Anonymous said...

I guess you are getting to the very heart of Grace, living out the reason that the rules are not really the rules.
Yet your family has not been so quick to toss out the things that I so quickly let go of in no trial at all... like my temper and my patience.
I know you must have your moments, but your lives and your faith are a testimony for Jesus.
Love and prayers,
Ruth Rhodes and family

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!

ox Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Dr. Spock and James Dobson would love us.

We tried donuts for dinner last night - in front of the tv. Alas, not a bite.

Anonymous said...

Praying for the procedure today!

Hugs,
Andria

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like you're doing exactly the right thing.

Michele Westerholm said...

Sounds just like parenting a 4 year old with cancer. We're currently inpatient for our last chemo. The unit is so full that they just moved two additional beds into our room. We're waiting to see if they get filled....