Friday, November 16, 2007

Brag Session

When I think the anxiety will overtake me, I either go shopping or brag about my kids. So here is my next bragging session. I know it's usually in poor taste to brag about your own kids, but I'm going to anyways. There have been so many sacrifices this past year and I sometimes think Tate, Luke and Sitara might get resentful of all the attention Jordan gets from us. But, instead they have developed tender hearts and have joined in doing their best to make things better for him and for me.

The other day when Jordan was throwing up, Tate without being asked went and got a towel and cleaned it up. When I asked him to set up a DVD for him, not only was it all set up, there was a soft blanket and a stuffed Elmo for him to sit with. Today, I asked Tate to entertain him for a few minutes while I took a shower. When I got out of the shower, Jordan was happy, blowing bubbles, and jamming out with Tate to "Rock Songs from the 80's".

Luke and Jordan were finishing the last 2 popsicles in the box. Jordan changed his mind about his selection and was demanding Luke's popsicle. I didn't say anything, and Luke said, "he can have it." When I told him how nice it was for him to give it up he said that of course he would. He didn't have to go through all the hard things Jordan did and he should have it.

Sitara picked out a ukelele in Hawaii that she really likes. Jordan has a new fascination with guitars and frequently goes into her room saying,"tar" "tar." He steals the guitar and is certainly not careful as he bangs it down the hall. Sitara always lets him do it without complaining.

They are very good to him and we are so proud of them.

8 comments:

mollyllilja said...

How precious!I love it when my kids take care of each other. How wonderful for you to know that there is an element of understanding on their part. Obviously you are showing them how to care for others.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Molly Lilja

Anonymous said...

Becky,
I was just going to write you earlier today to say I've noticed how pleasant your children are! They don't even know me that well, but they greet me at school (even little Sitara calls me by name!) and they smile kindly (like daddy!) and seem confident, well adjusted and not fearful or stressed. It is a testimony to the love in your home and no doubt from Grandparents and other caretakers as well.
Ruth Rhodes

Anonymous said...

I echo the other comments, your children are not only a reflection of their Creator but of what they see in their home daily, they have tender hearts, and you can brag about them anytime. We are all happy to listen and celebrate each of them with you!
I am praying for the upcoming dates and please call if you need help.
Kerry ( for all the Cowans)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Please, brag away, it is much more rewarding than shopping! What a beautiful visual you have painted of your children taking care of Jordan.

Love in Christ,
The Meads

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about the other kids, too. We are praying for them as we pray for Jordan, you, & also Ben & his family.
wendy hagel

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,

I just want to echo all the earlier sentiments. I've always known your kids were great! I am planning to visit you on the 27th- until then you will all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers (Karin and her family, too.)

Love,
Kristi

Anonymous said...

Becky,
I just wanted you to know that I was preaching at a Saturday Night Service a week ago on "Christian Community" and used your Monday Nov 5 blog as a great example of how such community should look. I didn't get clearance from you beforehand because I figured you would feel blessed that your horrific experience is being used by God greatly in the lives of others... Rob

Unknown said...

The greatest demonstration of victory is counting blessings!The devil calls it defeat, Jesus calls it true worship!

We commit the upcoming scans to the Lord daily. We hold onto the revelation of a miracle in this American season of thanksgiving.May Heaven invade earth and may heavens will be done on earth; and we know the will of heaven regarding Jordan.

George,Liz&Leon-London