Thursday, March 6, 2008

Marathon

I've started running again as a way to get out and to rid myself of all the weight I gained sitting in the hospital for a month. I am a very inconsistent runner. One day I've got lots of energy, the next I'm dragging. It's all a big analogy though. As I run, I think of it as our battle. I'm going to run hard, this cancer is not going to beat me. The last lap, I'm going to run faster. Pretty soon, I'll be running a marathon, like my friend Shannon. But, most days my legs are like concrete, a quarter of a mile and I need to walk. I get home and I'm dead tired.

Jordan is amazing. Cancer won't beat him. He has tons of energy for this marathon of a cancer battle. He bounces back and he's stronger. He says "thanks" to the nurses after they poke him with needles and give him chemo. He runs around the hospital. He takes joy in the simplest things. He is an inspiration to me.

Me, my mind, body, and soul are dragging to the finish line. As the phone rings notifying me of the numerous scans, surgical procedures chemo days left, as we head to the emergency room on the night I need to sleep the most, as we perform the endless medical procedures around the clock, I'm not sure I'm going to make it. But, I refuse to let this beat me, so Lord help me, I will crawl across the finish line if I have to. Jordan will run.

6 comments:

shannon said...

DO IT! Maui, Sept. 14. Be there.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing.
Pam Holt

Katy said...

I wish I could be there to run with you. Remember when we worked our way up to running around Seward Park?

Gigi never forgets to pray for baby Jordan and his parents.

-your running partner

Anonymous said...

You go,girl! It was so great to see you the other night. You look great.
Aren't children amazing? Their optimism is a gift from God.

Much love,
Kristi Spengler

Anonymous said...

Your stamina is amazing, your optimism is a joy and your bravery and faith are inspiring. Jordan is a real winner with parents like you and the strength you have given him. My prayers for you all.

Louise Cooley

Anonymous said...

I have a hard time dragging my butt out there, but I think that today my run will be a bit more inspired. Praying for you all will carry my concrete legs much further than I could hope for.
We love you guys, and even though the distance has kept us from seeing you, prayer keeps you close in our hearts!
jackie & bill