Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Family

Jordan is still doing well, but seems to be having some difficult nights again. The good news is that the symptoms from his tumor seem to be gone. Now I think he is just experiencing side effects of the chemo which is easier for us to handle because we know it is doing its job, but still hard on Jordan. Please pray that he could have some comfort at night.

A lot of people have asked how the rest of the family is doing so I thought I'd give a rundown. For the most part the kids have been great, but each has struggled in their own way. Tate is doing great in school. He has diligently been coming home and working on assignments, doing his reading and staying focused. That's a relief for me. He is a great help with Jordan and can keep him totally entertained. Jordan asks for him while he's gone at school and gives him slobbery kisses. Transition is always harder for him though and it has been tough on him being away from me so long as we are used to seeing each other more.

Luke is also enjoying school and has a teacher who is super nurturing and loving to him. It has been a blessing. He also has worked really hard and has kept a joyful heart. He has had some nightmares lately which is really unlike him and I think has to do with worries about Jordan and school and change.

Sitara is probably having the hardest time. She is so sweet to her brother and loves him so much, but also competes for our attention. I have more time with her in the morning now which is helpful and there have been friends and family stepping in to give her some one on one time. We've been calling her the Mystery Writer as she seems to be taking out her stress by writing on the walls, Tate's homework, her hands and her favorite Princess backpack. I don't have a lot of patience for that kind of thing.

Brent, my saintly husband, amazes me. He never seems to get stressed overwhelmed or exhausted, and I am all the time. He has been wonderful at giving me breaks, letting me sleep in, bringing me coffee, etc. I married the right guy. I had a dream the other night in which I asked him, "why is it that you never get stressed or tired?" He said, "that is because I am an alien." My thought in my dream was, "well that explains it." That's what my crazy sleep patterns are doing to me.

I am starting a therapeutic quilt. I don't really have any time, but it helps me to have a project like that. When we waited for Sitara for a year and a half, I made a really elaborate (for me) quilt for her, and it helped to think that when I finished it, she would be home. For Jordan, it is a simple pattern, but should take me 7 months (the rest of his treatment time) given my time limits. When we were in the hospital and got back to the room after his biopsy (when they were pretty sure it was cancer) there was a cute Veggie Tales quilt sitting on his bed. I looked at it and cried. It was what I call a "sick kid quilt". Having worked at Childrens for so many years, I know that you don't get those quilts for broken legs or getting your tonsils out, just the really bad sicknesses. The one I'm making will be his "healthy kid quilt."

Anyways, we are thankful that everyone is praying for our family and have appreciated connecting with so many old friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Becky:

Yeah- I am finally able to pull up this site again.

It was great to talk to you earlier this week- I hope to come up for another visit soon.

As always, please let me know if I could help in some way, especially with the kids. With Matthew in school now, I do have extra time, so I could come take Sitara out to lunch, or even take the kids overnight if you thought they would do okay away from you that long.

Anyway, please know I am thinking about you and praying for all of you.

Love,
Kristi