Monday, January 1, 2007

A Story to Share

I have to say that most nights lately, I go to bed thinking... I do not want this, I don't want to do this, I wish this was all over, I'm not interested in how I can grow from this trial, I just want Jordan to be better. The other night, I was laying in bed thinking those things, and all the sudden an experience I had had came to my mind. A few years ago at work, I met a family at the hospital. Two of their children had been in a bad accident and both were there. Both had very serious injuries. One of the kids was in the hospital for 6 months to a year and had permanent disabilites. I worked with both kids several times. I think a lot about the kids I work with and how their parents are dealing with it and this family even more so since two of their children were hurt. They were a Christian family and had clung to their faith through what must of been the most terrifying ordeal of thier life. When it finally came time for their daughter to be discharged, they planned a thank you lunch for the staff that had worked with their children. There were about 40 therapists, nurses and caregivers that came. They served everyone and then stood before the group and sang and gave a testimony to God's faithfulness and mercy to them during their trial. I will never forget it. They were the most beautiful family I have ever encountered there. Two things stood out specifically. God really is present and faithful in our darkest times when we call out to Him. Even a parent's worst fears. I know that in my mind, but being a doubter, it was a huge inspiration to me to see God's power at work in this family. Another thing I thought was, if anything like this ever happens to me, I hope I respond like them. So here I am. I believe at the end of this trial that we will stand and give testimony to God's work in our lives, but honestly right now, my prayers are for my self. I do not want to give in to fear or despair. I know I need to abide in Him because I need His peace, His comfort and His sustaining strength to get us through this time. It is amazing how God reminds us of things. That family was so inspirational to me, if Jordan had been a girl we were going to give her the same name as their daughter. I believe He is reminding me that He is the same God that is here for my family as was there for them.

And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 1 Peter 5:10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky and Brent:
I can so relate to this comment! It was my constant thought when going through the initial trials with Zack...that I didn't want this! That I wanted my life to be easy!! That I didn't want to grow if it meant this!!! I wish I could say that given the same situation today I'd be really spiritual and just thank the Lord through it all, but I know I wouldn't. The good thing is that it's alright with the Lord when we are oh so human and want it easy! He understands -- one day we will too, but right now we just see this life and it seems long at times. I thank the Lord for His GRACE that takes us through and truly does use it all for our good and His glory, even when we don't see that happening at the moment. The people you talked about are part of the saints who have gone before in a similar situation -- and yes, you will be a part of that one day too, because I know God will use you to encourage others in their pain. We are praying for you -- for the comfort of the Holy Spirit, for stamina in the heat of the battle, for strength and glimpses of joy in the midst of this trial.
Love you, Elizabeth for the Griffs

Anonymous said...

Brent and Becky -
You ARE just like that family already! We see your testimony in your lives as you walk THROUGH the process, as much as at the end. Your example as you choose to trust NOW. I noticed Brent was serving in the children's ministry the other day... not waiting for life to be "normal" (there's not many men who do that even when all is smooth sailing.) The choice of song - "Majesty" I think? - that you asked that we sing on Sunday worship a few weeks back. It wasn't the sort of song I would have chosen - one about help me God! - but one that simply aknowledged Him. May He WOW you with His presence along the way.
Blessings on your whole gang,
Ruth Rhodes & family